Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Input with WildCard Sheet names?

matula23
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a set of files that I am trying to open using a combination of the directory tool and the dynamic input tool by replacing the full path. My problem is that I need to specify a sheet name in the dynamic input tool in order to open these files.

2023-08-31_12-39-49.png

However, my sheet name is variable based on which quarter/year we are working in. There is some consistency in the beginning few letters where one file always has a tab starting with "ER" and one starts with "NON-ER" but then the remaining part of the sheet name will be Q1 - Q2 2023 or Q2 - Q3 2023 and so forth depending on time of year. Is there a way for me to include a wild card in my modified full path to pull any sheet that includes "ER" or "Non-ER" with the dynamic input? I've seen some solutions suggest to just pull the list of sheet names, but I'm confused how to do that from the directory tool. My understanding is that you need to use the input data tool to pull a list of sheet names, but my file path is variable and comes from the directory tool i have set up.

13 REPLIES 13
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's the whole point of a Batch Macro - to account for different schemas. Did you change the settings of the Batch Macro in the Interface Designer?

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
matula23
7 - Meteor

@caltang - As I mentioned in my previous replies, I have updated the settings in the batch macro interface designer to auto config by name, and I am still only getting the first file in the folder.

2023-09-05_9-17-32.png

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Okay - I misunderstood you there. I thought you mentioned the Macro was giving you issues whereas it was your Input tool giving you issues.

Okay, no worries - here's what you can try. Change it with a Directory Tool, and for each full path, use the Append Tool with a Text Box input of all your known Sheet Names since you mentioned they follow a specific naming convention, I'm sure you only need a few of them. 

From there, use the fullpath, and change as per before only this time, change after the sheet names have been appended. This should work.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Lin
5 - Atom

It is a version issue.

The solution mentioned by @Prometheus works in 2023 but not work in 2021.

2021 requires the sheet name to be the same.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels