Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data Cleaning

Namaya
6 - Meteoroid

I have a sales column in my dataset that includes both a dollar sign and a period (e.g., '$320,000.00'). When I use the data cleaning tool and select 'Remove unwanted characters' with the punctuation checkbox, it removes both the dollar sign and the period. However, I only want to remove the dollar sign. It would be great if @Alteryx could allow users to specify which character they want to remove after selecting the punctuation checkbox. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
championerik
4 - Baryon

Is that Data in the string format? If yes, you could make use of a formular tool that would do something like: replace([column name], '$','')

Also you could use an Regex Tool for that!  

OTrieger
12 - Quasar

@Namaya  there is Ideas forum, you should post your request there as a new idea for enhancement for Alteryx.

As I do not see here any question I'm assuming that you know how to solve that issue.

Namaya
6 - Meteoroid

I used the formula tool to achieve what I wanted but it was time consuming since there were multiple columns that needed similar approach. Thank you.

Namaya
6 - Meteoroid

Let me reshare on the ideas forum. I did manage to navigate around it using the formula tool but the approach was time consuming. Thanks!

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@Namaya If you want to apply the same function in multiple columns you can use the Multi-Field formula tool and use the ReplaceChar() fucntion 

Namaya
6 - Meteoroid

Let me try this approach. Thanks!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels