Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Custom Filter Not Working - Please Help!

CDIns
8 - Asteroid

I have a column in my dataset that is essentially a flag. The flags can be any number between 1 and 100. 

I need to filter out 2s and 3s. 

When I do my customer filter my syntax is as follows : [Field1]!=2 OR [Field1]!=3

The flow runs and nothing gets filtered out. However, when I try a custom filter to just see 2s and 3s using the following syntax it works fine: [Field1}=2 OR [Field1]=3 

Why does it work for one but not the other? 

Thanks in advance, 

3 REPLIES 3
Raj
15 - Aurora

@CDIns 

[Field1] != 2 OR [Field1] != 3: This condition is always true for any value of Field1. If Field1 is 2, the condition [Field1] != 3 is true. If Field1 is 3, the condition [Field1] != 2 is true. For any other value, both conditions are true.

[Field1] != 2 AND [Field1] != 3: This condition is only true if Field1 is neither 2 nor 3, which is what you want.

hope this helps

Mark done if solved.

Raj
15 - Aurora

@CDIns 
formula to use to achieve the output

[Field1] != 2 AND [Field1] != 3

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CDIns you can also use the Not In operator

[Field1] NOT IN (2,3)