Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cross-tab or Transpose of blocks of columns (load data into excel)

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

Hi Peers,

I am trying to transpose the data into 3 sets to write back in to excel. Please see below for my source data:

VEDDFSFSPHTH
RBGNCTePHM14.4
RBGNCTePHA1.6
RBGNCTePHV0
RBANCBuPHM16
RBANCBuPHA0
RBANCBuPHV0
RBANCZiPHM0
RBANCZiPHA0
RBANCZiPHV0

and my output must look like:

VRRRRRRRRR
 EDBBBBBBBBB
 DGGGAAAAAA
 FNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNC
 SFTeTeTeBuBuBuZiZiZi
 TMAVMAVMAV
SPHPH14.41.601600000

How can I achieve this? Please advise.

TIA!

13 REPLIES 13
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Thanks for the update.  I'm looking at it in my spare time.  There's a key manipulation step that I'm missing, but i'll keep thinking about it.

Dan

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

Sure @danilang looking forward to it!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Here you go.

It took a while to get the data columns lined up with the header ones while at the same time keeping the data values in separate rows when required 

Results.pngSolution2.png

It was a tough one!  You should submit it as a weekly challenge!

Dan

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

@danilang Thanks a ton! Sure, I must submit it as a weekly challenge.

But, there is one minor glitch here. You see row numbers 8 and 10 in the output. They have the same SPH value as PH. So, they must be combined into 1 single row. In the output, it must be like this in row number 8:

SPH   PH   14.4   1.6   0   2.5   6   0   0   0   0

and row number 10 must be avoided... similarly in all cases whenever SPH row value repeats. I think the change needs to happen in Building Group stage. Here the group number is calculated based on SF values of each row. But, if you could mention where exactly I need to change in order to accommodate that, it would be great!

if isnull([Row-1:GroupNumber]) then
elseif [Row-1:SF] != [SF] then
[Row-1:GroupNumber]+1
else
[Row-1:GroupNumber]
endif

But, nevertheless, you have been an immense help! Appreciate your support throughout.

Labels