Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating a variable in Alteryx

Bharath
8 - Asteroid

Hi ,

I have 500000 variables. I need to create a string cloumn with 20 % of 500000 population as 'first time freshman', 60 % of 500000 population as 'first time transfer' and remaining 20 % as 'third year'

can some one please help me in doing that in alteryx. I thank you in advance.

-Bharath

5 REPLIES 5
Bharath
8 - Asteroid

actually I have 500000 counts sorry not variables. I mentioned it wrongly in my previous post.

-Bharath

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Do you already have an indicator for which rows should be marked as First-Time Freshman, First-Time Transfer, and Third Year? If so, use the Formula tool to create a string field.

If you are looking to randomly assign a percentage of your data to a category, you should look at both Create Sample and Sample tool.

Bharath
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.No I dont have indicator for which rows should be marked as First-Time Freshman, First-Time Transfer, and Third Year. I found a way of doing it but the issue is that I have 500000 students. so I if I assign 20% of sample at random to "first time freshman" then those students should not be included for assigning 60% for "First time Transfer " .

please let me know a way solve it.

-Bharath

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Using the Create Sample tool you can choose 20%, and 60% which will leave the final 20% from the third output.

Ue the formula tool to create the 'first-time freshman', 'first-time transfer', and 'third year' dimension and then union the results.

I've attached an example.

Bharath
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michael,

Thank you for Helping me.

-Bharath

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels