Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting a string format to a Month Format

Arkouda
8 - Asteroid

HI All

I'm sure this is easy to do, but i have tried on my end

How do you convert the effective date values to present it by month instead of a string format? 

i.e. 12/31/2019 = December 

1/31/2020 = January 

2/29/2020 = February 

Arkouda_0-1587073337835.png

3 REPLIES 3
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Arkouda,

you can use the Formula tool for this.

DateTimeFormat([Column], '%B')

Minimal Sample attached.

Best

Alex

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Arkouda 

There are two steps to this process that we can combine into one formula you'll see below (and in the attached example).

Step 1 - Convert the string "12/31/2019" into the official datetime format that Alteryx uses (ISO 8601: which looks like YYYY-MM-DD). In the DateTimeParse( expression below, we'll use the Alteryx references to identify the positions of the necessary pieces of information in the input string. Here's a link to the documentation on these formula references: https://help.alteryx.com/10.1/Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm

DateTimeParse("12/31/2019","%m/%d/%Y")

This will return the date in the standard format: "2019-12-31". Now that we have this date values, we can format that into the desired, month, output. We'll do this by wrapping a DateTimeFormat( function around the previous step:

DateTimeFormat( DateTimeParse("12/31/2019","%m/%d/%Y"), "%B")

This will return the values of "December". To do this dynamically, you can replace the "12/31/201" in the expression with a field name. 

20200416-MonthLabelChart.PNG

Arkouda
8 - Asteroid

thank you it worked 

Labels