Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Connecting data from Databricks (as input) to Alteryx Desinger

SachinCariappa
5 - Atom

Hello Together,

I have a scenario in connecting Databricks (as input connection) to Alteryx. In this scenario, please advice if we have the tool under In-Database tool pallet? If Yes, please assist as how we connect to databricks unity catalog (having a generic / service account) and what is the tool name. Thank you! 

13 REPLIES 13
apathetichell
19 - Altair

hmm... this seems like a pretty obscure issue. can you confirm you are using token/PAT for your authorization?  This looks like you may be able to connect - but may not be able to retrieve your metadata. This could be a driver setup, a databricks set up, a permission issue with your user/token or other. So there are a ton of potential issues here.

Here's what I'd start with:

1) When you connect via Test from ODBC - can you look at your logs? how are they different (ie do you see that issue)

2) What version of Alteryx/Databricks driver are you using

3) Can you check on your user/token's permission to a) start your cluster b) retrieve/read tables/schema objects metadata

4) catalog should be under database in your odbc64 config main driver screen it should be default

5) can you share a screenshot of your advanced settings in your odbc set up?

Hpitcockaa
5 - Atom

I am using a token created through my DataBricks account.

1. The logs look fairly different because ODBC64 is just starting and cancelling requests, but I don't see noticeable differences when the connection is initializing or anything.

2. I am using Alteryx Designer 2023.1 and Simba Spark 2.8.2

3. I'm not sure how to check this-- Databricks let me create the token but there's no place to configure or check permissions

4. I am using the default catalogue

5. Here is a screenshot

Screenshot 2024-06-19 145935.png

apathetichell
19 - Altair

O.k. - let's go for what I have here:

checked:

Use Native Query

Fast SQL Perpare

Driver Config Take Precedence

Unicode SQL Character Types

Show System Table

Auto Reconnect

Unchecked:

Use Async Exec

Get Tables With Query

Use Only SSPI

Invalid Session Auto Receover

Enable Translation for CTAS

I also have:

hive.resultset.use.unique.column.names=false in my server side properties (that's manually configured to allow duplicate columns)

I'm on 2021.4 and Simba Spark ODBC Driver 2.06.23.1039 (so old stuff)

Hpitcockaa
5 - Atom

That worked! You are WONDERFUL! Thank you for all of the help

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels