Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combine (Union) Multiple Password Protected Excel Files (They all have the same password)

C074584
5 - Atom

Hello Alteryx Community!

I am a new Alteryx user and I need to combine (union) a bunch of weekly excel files in a folder that all have the same format but they are all password protected with the same password.  I could go into each individual file and remove the password but I was wondering if there was a way for Alteryx to do this form me and union (combine) all the files into one file?  

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Raj
16 - Nebula

@C074584 
use the workflow attached

Input your password protected Excel sheet, in the formula tool update your password (now the workflow has it as "alteryx"), and run.

The browse tool will show you the data in your Excel sheet.

C074584
5 - Atom

Hi Raj!

I'm very new to Alteryx!  Am I supposed to update anything in here?  I received an error when running

# install.packages(c("excel.link"),repos='https://cran.revolutionanalytics.com/',dependencies = TRUE)
library("excel.link")

df <- read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")
filename <- as.character(df[1,"FullPath"])
excel_pwd <- as.character(df[1,"excel_password"])

excel_data <- xl.read.file(filename, password = excel_pwd, write.res.password=excel_pwd)

write.Alteryx(excel_data, 1)

C074584
5 - Atom

Looks like I had to download/install the R package for excel.link.  Now i'm getting this error.  

Error: R (1): There was an error in WriteYXDBStreaming

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels