Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Character limit is exceeding 500+ characters

anuj_Chahal
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have a column with characters limit exceeding 500+ characters from CSV file. I tried changing the field size up to 20,000 and data type t V_WString. But the input data is still coming half of it.

5 REPLIES 5
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@anuj_Chahal 
According to this one, your approach should work.

Can you upload a sample CSV file?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/what-is-the-character-limit/td-p/91247

anuj_Chahal
5 - Atom
TypeReqirement
UPDATE[{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":0,"Value":"SOMETHING RELATED TO NAME CHANGE REQUEST"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":1,"Value":"UPDATE TO DELIVERABLES, TASKS, SUB-TASKS OR CHECKLISTS"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":3,"Value":"UPLOAD DIGITAL ASSETS TO CONNECTED SOURCE"}]
UPGRADE[{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":2,"Value":"CHANGE TO DIGITAL ASSETS (TEMPLATE, ACCELERATOR, AUTOMATION)"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":1,"Value":"UPDATE TO DELIVERABLES, TASKS, SUB-TASKS OR CHECKLISTS"}]

Tried the link you have provided to change the field length it is not working.
When this File is imported only half the data in Requirement is coming and this data can't be Split in the input file itself.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Could you try reading in the file as JSON? Feel free to send a masked sample of the data, then I'm sure somebody can help. 

vssrsairam
6 - Meteoroid

The data is getting broken from the input tool itself tried increasing Field length but no change in that column is there another way for fetching the live CSV data file which presented in the onedrive

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @vssrsairam 

I think you're experiencing the common "This cell has truncated Characters" issue.  

danilang_3-1680701586378.png

In order to conserve memory in Designer, text cells in the Results window only display the first 255 characters of long text fields.  The displayed message is misleading as well since it says Truncated Characters. (BTW: I added the New Lines to your input to be able to show the entire string on a screen shot.)  The value itself isn't truncated, it's only the display of the value. That's the "..." after "UPDATE TO DELIV" 

The only place you don't get the message if if you use a browse Tool.  

danilang_4-1680701819527.png

In this case the message changes to ">256 characters" and you can see that the entire string is actually there.  The browse tool is also placed after the tool with the "Truncated" message so this shows that the value has not been modified by the previous tool 

This concept of limiting text strings to conserve memory is extremely confusing to new users such as yourself.  The wording of the tool tip just adds to the confusion.

Dan

Labels