Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chaining dynamic filters

markashman
9 - Comet

I have a dynamic filter from a list box with 3 choices, which works fine.

I want to link this to secondary filter based on the 1st selection, but the 2nd list box does not update based on the selection from the 1st selection box.

I had thought I could put them in control containers, making the 2nd linked to the 1st, but sadly input tools in control containers are not supported :(

Anyone have any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
shancmiralles
10 - Fireball

hi @markashman  ! 
have your tried the Condition tool? 

hope this helps! 

markashman
9 - Comet

Can you elongate please, not sure how this helps. I have created a same flow the demos the issue.

shancmiralles
10 - Fireball

hi! yeah.. i'm unable to open any WFs since im away from my computer but the "Condition" tool (it's under the Interface tools of your tool pallet) is like a true or false tool.. so like if i choose option 1  it will give me  out put anchors for choices available for the option 1..

if you want to continue with this chain app , more info on chain app and sample work flow can be found here ( https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications-1583459130897 ) .  

markashman
9 - Comet

I did wonder about chained apps, but having never used before not sure about the user experience, as want it to be seamless: select type from 1st tab then, depending on the choice, the 2nd tab shows corresponding values. Seems to be to do this via condition would need a true path for each variant in tab 1, which seems excessive. Individually dynamic filters work fine, but joining them doesn't as the 2nd tab doesn't show any values, which I just don't understand.

shancmiralles
10 - Fireball

yeah.. try to use the sample workflow on the link i gave you .. the configuration on the action tool is really tricky if you are not careful!

markashman
9 - Comet

I do hope that is not the only option, as its not great from a user perspective as totally sequential a > b > c, you cannot go back a step and have to wait for each app UI to load, linked tabs in 1 app ui would be much cleaner.

shancmiralles
10 - Fireball

hi! your initial question doesn't include inquiry about having back option.. anyways... 
here is a link on doing an app with back button option   https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Back-Button-in-Alteryx-Chained...   ..

i do hope the 2 links that i have provided gives you an idea on how to do your app and resolve this inquiry! :)

enjoy building your  Work Flow! 

markashman
9 - Comet

Thanks, will take a look in the morning with a fresh head

johnaberham
5 - Atom

Does not seem to be working for me

Please check

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels