Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Average() function: where is it documented? How to average two dates?

JohnDoe
8 - Asteroid

Entering a formula like Average([numerical_column_1],[numerical_column_2]) works. However, is the formula documented anywhere? I haven't been able to find any documentation, nor can I find it in the 'functions' tab of the formula tool.

Also, is there any way to get it to work with dates? If I try the formula with two date fields, I get:

Error: Formula (19): Parse Error at char(0): Type mismatch. String provided where a number is required. (Expression #1)

which is weird because the fields are dates, not strings!

Note that I am talking about averaging two columns (an average by row), NOT about doing any kind of group by.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Alteryx stores dates as strings. You would need to convert them to a days since an epoc and then average and finally add the epoc. Something like:

DateTimeAdd("1900-01-01", Average(
	DateTimeDiff([Field1],"1900-01-01","days"),
	DateTimeDiff([Field2],"1900-01-01","days")
), "days")

The average function is documented here:

http://help.alteryx.com/9.5/Reference/Functions.htm#Math_

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Another option is the Average Dates macro on the Gallery. This macro will average dates in a field with an optional grouping, so using it to average across two fields would require some data transformation.

For your purposes I think jdunkerley79's solution would work more elegantly.

Alex Koszycki
Program Manager, Community Platform
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels