Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx flow - run VBA Macro and use generated files for further work

GregorB
5 - Atom

Hello,

I'm seeking an automated solution for my workflow. Currently, I have an Excel VBA macro that exports five different files from the SAP system. I manually execute this macro, and then proceed to an Alteryx workflow where the five files are combined to generate a report. How can I integrate the automatic execution of the VBA macro directly within Alteryx?

The macro exports files weekly in that way:

example:

C:/USER/DATA/W1/SEL1.xlsx

C:/USER/DATA/W1/SEL2.xlsx  ... (next week the macro will create W2 folder and so on)

In my Alteryx flow I have dynamic input reading so it also recognizes folder week numbers and the exported files (SEL1.xlsx, SEL2.xlsx,...) which macro creates.

Is there a chance that I somehow implement the "Run Command" tool in my Alteryx workflow?

Thanks in advance!

G

2 REPLIES 2
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@GregorB you are definitely on the right track with Run Command. It'll be able to execute VBA macros via a VBS file that is built in to your Run Command tool's configuration. 

Data Meaning put out a great video roughly two years ago around the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCq85G9YGQ4

It provides a great guide to get you set up.

GregorB
5 - Atom

Hi,

thanks for a fast reply.

I've reviewed the video, but I'm unsure how to integrate it into my workflow. Specifically, I need the flow to pause until the macro completes the exports, and then resume its tasks.

As you can see on the picture below, I have text input

example:

C:/USER/DATA/W

Following that, the formula tool determines the current week number, and the dynamic input tool opens the corresponding week file.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels