Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx auto reading a field to be Numeric and returning Null value for text

atul_maskara
5 - Atom

I have a data in excel which has more that 400,000 records. A particular field in the data is a alphanumeric field where first few thousand fields are numeric and then there is a mix bag of numeric and alphanumeric data. When inputting the file in Alteryx it is automatically detecting the field as numeric and even after using Select tool and changing the data type to String is not working. All the numeric values are converting to string and displaying in output, however all the text data (alphanumeric data) are returning Null in the output.

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @atul_maskara 

Try something like this.

Configure First row contains data

atcodedog05_0-1605522096954.png

By this all column will be taken as strings

Configure dynamic rename tool to take name from 1st row like below.

atcodedog05_1-1605522149715.png

Load your file to the attached workflow and check. And set the datatype as required

atcodedog05_2-1605522188673.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @atul_maskara,

@atcodedog05 provided you with the only available solution to this problem that I am aware ofof.

I wanted to share a link to this post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Force-data-type-of-input-data/idc-p/377450/h...

but @atcodedog05 was faster 🙂 

atul_maskara
5 - Atom

The solution was helpful. I accepted the solution before liking the post but wanted to tell that this helped and express my gratitude. Thank you.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @atul_maskara 

Thank you for marking my post as a solution.

Good luck! 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @atul_maskara 

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 😀

Labels