Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding line item if that line item is missing from Input file

kauser
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

is there any way i can add some specific line if they are missing from my input file. for example i am working in a weekly reconciliation file and there are two line items (e.g.- Profit sharing & expense sharing) and some week they have data and other week have no data. so when there are no data then these two line items will not include into input file. my question is can i tell Alteryx if these two line items are missing from input file because there are no data  then add them so i will have those line items as blank on my output file. i have to keep those line items even they are blank 

5 REPLIES 5
SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

When you say line item, do you mean a row of data, or a column header?

If its a column header, you can use a text input tool that has all your desired headers in it but no rows of data and union that to the output of your file input. Any columns that are in the text input that are not in the file input will be added as null columns.

If thats not quite what you mean, it would be beneficial to see an example input and expected output to help further.

kauser
8 - Asteroid

@SPetrie  Thanks for your reply. 

Week 1 Summary where i have data for all product

DescriptionAmount
Product A35
Product B46
Product C58
Product D95

Week 2 summary where i have data for only first 2 products and please note Product C & D are missing from input file because these two products have no data but still i want to keep in my summary even they have no $$

DescriptionAmount
Product A 55
Product B42
Product C0
Product D0
SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

You can use something similar to what I mentioned before. Have a text input with the required row items. Join that list to a summarized list of the rows that exist in the input file and take the items that DONT join. Those are your missing line items. Union those into the main data and you will have the missing rows as well as the present ones. I use a summarize to keep the joined rows to a minimum since I dont know if the rows get repeated or not.

add rows.PNG

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

to add missing weekly data look at the TS filler tool that is most likely the easiest way

kauser
8 - Asteroid

Hi @aatalai 

i am not sure how this tool can help to resolve this issue because i dont have any specific date and/week to tell when some line items will be missing or not. appreciate if you can shed some light on this,

Labels