We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!Submit Feedback
A solution to last week's challenge can be found here.
This challenge includes two inputs: 1) An equation written in Roman numerals and 2) a look-up table of certain Roman numerals. Solve the equation and return the answer as an integer.
Update: Start file updated on 10/1/2019
I got a different answer, but I was a little confused about how the order of operations should have been handled given how the formula was given.
*/(+-) vs (*/)+- (both were far off from the provided answer, which was close to just * less ~300 or so
Looks like The provided solution took ((1732*79)/9 )+(1-7)/9 and took the /9 off the first set of brackets after converting -6/9 --> -54.
136828-54=136744. off by ~1
I don't know how the "solution" was generated but it sure didn't follow PEMDAS rules. Anywho, another lunch break given over to another weekly challenge. I think I need to clean up and publish my macro within my organization.
Edit: Once I had the formula with the correct Hindu-Arabic numerals I thought I needed a macro. But then I learned from @Martyn that the Dynamic Replace tool will do what I needed. And this is why one should always review other's solutions.
Struggled a bit with evaluating the expression only to realise the wonder called Dynamic Replace. My answer matches to what almighty Google thinks so I'd like to believe I am on the right track even though the solution result seems to be way off from my answer.
Finally, I understand why I've learned latin ... but I've got a different result.