Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA
SOLVED

Challenge #163: Caesar Cipher (on the way to Kryptos)

TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

ROT-13 came into moderate use during the height of Usenet as a way to obscure profanity, dirty talk, movie spoilers, and offensive materials from the casual glance.

The Challenge here is to implement the ROT-13 substitution cipher and apply it TWICE to verify that the ENCODER can be used as its own DECODER!

If you are up for a challenge skip to PART II (which also solves PART I)

bdaniels
8 - Asteroid

Those book fair Spy books finally pay off

Spoiler
You could use a switch formula in place of the lookup, but this works too

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 12.26.41 PM.png

Part 1 just changes the filter to specify shiftkey 13
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Created it as an app so your kids can learn Alteryx while sending secret messages to their friends!

Spoiler
 Workflow 163.GIF

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution!

Spoiler
Part I:

partI.PNG

Part II:

partII.PNG

Macro detail:

Macro detail.PNG
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

LOVED THIS CHALLENGE. (To be fair, I just did my first Escape Room this weekend, so I'm kinda still psyched about the whole solving puzzles thing...)

Spoiler
Decided to solve both parts, and then took a cue from @T_Willins and made an app out of it so that you can code/decode your own messages!

Part I:
Solved without having to hard code a key by utilizing my favorite lesser-known formula, CharToInt and CharFromInt. Able to create a 3 tool solution (Parse > Formula > Summarize) that will allow you to code/decode ROT-13 messages, including the ability to keep upper & lowercase letters in their original case.
WeeklyChallenge163Part1.JPG
Part II:
For Caesar's Cipher, I used Generate Rows to create 26 possible rotations, and then more-or-less used the same solution as above, just substituting the RowCount field from Generate Rows tool for the 13 used in Part I. Solution = some advice that certain members of the kingdom of Westeros would be wise to heed... attack at once!! ;)
WeeklyChallenge163Part2.JPG
Part III:
Created an app out of the solution above... and then had to entirely rework it once I realized that the same value could not be used to decode the message as to encode it if that number wasn't 13. Oops. So I modified both to allow for encoding as well as decoding, which now gives you a handy little Cipher for sending secret messages behind enemy lines!
WeeklyChallenge163Part3.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

Alekh
9 - Comet

Doing it on Alteryx 11.7 :(. I've been doing a lot of iteratives recently so decided to do it with an iterative.

Spoiler
163..PNG

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm on the same wavelength as @NicoleJohnson

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution, using the same approach as @NicoleJohnson and @patrick_digan 

Spoiler
07-05-_2019_08-27-12.png
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

My solution for both in one WF

Spoiler
I used the "generate all shift" keys method.

WF.png  
Result.png

Since the decoder ring is circular, you can either shift the letters up or shift them down.   @patrick_digan 
shifted Caesar's message 22 letters up, I shifted mine 4 letters down

Dan

kat
12 - Quasar

These cryptic challenges are good fun! :)

Spoiler
I went down the macro route
Challenge #163 macro.PNG

Can't leave a challenge behind, so of course started with Part II 
Challenge #163 Part II.PNG

Luckily it worked on part 1 too :)
Challenge #163 Part I.PNG