Dev Space

Customize & extend the power of Alteryx. SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more!

General Discussions has some can't miss conversations going on right now! From conversations about automation to sharing your favorite Alteryx memes, there's something for everyone. Make it part of your community routine!

HTML GUI SDK: Show options only if incoming connection is present

chrisha
10 - Fireball

Hey dev community,

I'm currently working on a tool using the Python and HTML GUI SDK. The tool has an optional input. And depending on whether there is an incoming connection or not, I want the tool UI to show additional settings. To achieve this, I have the following in my Gui.html:

Alteryx.Gui.BeforeLoad = (manager, AlteryxDataItems, json) => {
    // Display incoming settings only if there is data incoming
    var hasIncomingStream = manager.getIncomingFields().length > 0
    window.document.getElementById("incoming-settings").hidden = !hasIncomingStream
    manager.getDataItem("IncomingField").setDisabled(!hasIncomingStream)
}

It works well and as intended: When I connect an incoming stream, the element with #incoming-settings is shown and hidden otherwise.

There is one instance, though, when the above does not work: When having an incoming connection present (see screenshot), but just having loaded the workflow. In this case, metadata is not yet available and the GUI does not show the #incoming-settings:

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 10.58.06.png

When I run

window.Alteryx.Gui.Manager.getIncomingFields()

in Devtools, I see that the Array has one item, but it seems not to be present when BeforeLoad(...) is called:

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 11.00.18.png

Is this a known bug? Or is there a more reliable way to check for the presence of an incoming connection?

Best

Christopher

John_Rutter
6 - Meteoroid

I have a similar use-case, where I want to display parts of the UI when there are incoming connections, but when there are not, they are not needed.  I can neither find something that can accurately determine whether there are incoming connections nor can I find one to determine if the config routines have been run.