Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Workflow working correctly in designer but not working properly in gallery.

Dheemathi15
5 - Atom

Hi,

I did some enhancements to the existing workflow and published in gallery. In designer i can able to test the workflow properly without any issues. But when I published in gallery some fields are showing as NULL.

We receive the input files in excel format and load the files into redshift tables using Alteryx workflow. Recently there is a change where we need to track all the filename information in another table(master table) like file id, filename, file period, file year etc., and file id will generate automatically using identity(). Once the master table is updated an new record is inserted in master table and file id will be generated. This file id should be updated in redshift table where data is loaded. This is the requirement. I have modified the existing workflow as per the requirement and tested the workflow. The workflow is working fine when I test in designer. But after publishing the workflow to gallery, filename column is not displaying. Filename column is showing as NULL and due to this file id is not generating. But filename is processing further in the rest of the workflow and updating in redshift table as well. But only filename filed is displaying as NULL. 

So in this case, is it issue with gallery or server or issue with code. Below is the snapshot. First it will update the Master table and then it flows further in workflow and updates redshift table. 

can someone please help why there is issue with in gallery. Thanks in advance.

Dheemathi15_0-1662364231700.png

Dheemathi15_1-1662364400557.png

1 REPLY 1
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Dheemathi15 

You can't rely that the workflow execution plan will run in the desired sequence or how it does locally when on server. It sounds like the input tool in your second image may have already ran before the output tool on the first image completed, since there's no dependency for the input tool on when it should run.

Ways that I've been able to control when an input should run:

1. Use a Dynamic Input tool in conjunction with the Block until Done.
  2. Use the Run Command tool since it can be used to write out and then read in. You wouldn't really be using this tool to run an external command and can leave those fields empty.
  3. Add the input into a batch macro.
    1. I've run into issues when attempting to use a standard macro where the input tool within the macro also begins to run. A batch macro prevents this since it's dependent on a control parameter to determine whether to run or not.
    2. Would also be after a Block until done tool
  4. Swap to use In-DB tools which may offer more control, especially with the "Write Data In-DB" tool having an output connector.

Hopefully you're able to leverage one of those options, but my suggestion would to explore option 2.