Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Update from 2022.3 to 2024.1 - Looking for Advice & Opinions

KCochran
6 - Meteoroid

My company is looking to upgrade our Alteryx server from 2022.3 to the current version. Has anyone found that to be worthwhile? I'm just trying to figure out the tradeoff between potential updates and work required to make sure everything is running smoothly. Are there any major changes? I've only seen smaller changes so far.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @KCochran ,

Best place to start is to look for new features and known issues in the Server and Designer release notes. 

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/en/release-notes/server-release-notes/server-2024-1-release-n...

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/en/release-notes/designer-release-notes/designer-2024-1-relea...

The most important features on the Server are the Asset ownership transfer, SQL database support for Alteryx back-end and DCM improvements.

On Designer, new formulas, better template management and some other user experience improvements to make your life easier.

If you don`t use DCM much and the Asset transfer isn`t appealing enough for you and your company, I would suggest you to stick to 23.2. Usually, we recommend our clients to always stay one version before the most recent one mainly to avoid bugs not yet discovered.

Always keep track of the patches being released for the server, 24.1 has 3 patches and 23.2 has 6, and these patches are basically to fix known issues. Although the number of patches doesn`t really mean the number of bugs fixed, it is a good selling point.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

albert_alaluf
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Hi @KCochran 

I agree all points from @fmvizcaino , and if you really want to move to 2024.1 (which predictive tools is coming back again with 2024.2), Alteryx always suggests to install the versions in between. So, you should go to install step by step, but from 2022.x to 2023.x and then 2024.x... In your case, it's gonna be 2022.3, then 2023.1, 2023.2 and 2024.1.

We migrated a few months ago, from 2021.4 to 2023.1 and now testing 2023.2. We made this with a different approach. We asked to our users to have all their workflows keep on their computer, then upgrade their Alteryx to 2023.1, and open and save as workflows with 2023.1 and publish to the new server. It was challenging, but we also had an opportunity to clean the workflows never touched or used for a long time. I hope this helps.

Albert Alaluf
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alaluf/
tcheng
7 - Meteor

We started off with 2022.3 when we first implemented Alteryx Server. Prior to that, my users have been using Alteryx Designer on their desktops. We then upgraded from 2022.3 to 2024.1 since it was quite overdue. But then we encountered an error during the upgrade where database migration failed (we use MongoDB). Turns out it was a product defect at the time (might be resolved by now) and we managed to corrected the issue to complete the upgrade. Then, Alteryx Designer couldn't save to Alteryx Server as SSO failed during the process. We then had to upgrade our Alteryx Designer to the same version and we've been fine since then. I mainly support the backend infrastructure so it's up to my Alteryx admins to tell me when to upgrade and to what version.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!