Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Trigger workflow using Control M

mhiko-s
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I am currently working on a project and we are planning to use Alteryx for data preparation. The team is very pleased with the tool as we were able to transform our data easily with it. The only thing that we are worried about is its deployment in our environments.

We are aware that Alteryx has its own scheduler and we have tried it but we see no option in the scheduler to integrate with other scheduling tool.

What we are planning to do is to trigger the Alteryx workflows using control M as we have existing jobs in control M that should be finished first before executing the Alteryx workflows. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Mhiko

11 REPLIES 11
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi  mhiko-s,

I don't think this is possible no, i've seen a number of people trying to use different windows systems to trigger alteryx designer to run as a schedule but they have always failed in their attempts. 

However, perhaps you can use an external programme if you do have Alteryx scheduler installed, that I do not know. 

Further to this it may be worth opening up your question for potential solutions on how to integrate Alteryx scheduler with your other scheduling tools, because it may be possible.

Ben

mhiko-s
5 - Atom

Hi Ben,

Yes, we have the Alteryx Scheduler also installed. So our best option is to integrate Alteryx scheduler with a third party scheduler?

Mhiko

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If you have Alteryx Server, then you are able to kick off jobs via CmdLine and API. This won't work if you don't have a scheduler licence.

Here is some information on scheduling from the command line.

API information can be found at <Your Gallery URL>/api-docs. Information on getting your secret and key can be found here.

I believe that you would be able to use Control-M with either of the above situations, however it means that you miss out on some of the Alteryx Scheduling capability by not using the designed GUI.

deethesh
5 - Atom

Hi All , 

I'm using Informatica for any ETL works , for which I'm using Tivoli work Scheduler ( TWS) . But now I need to use Alteryx for ETL works and use TWS for scheduling and triggering Job , can anyone advice on whether we can trigger Alteryx workflows using TWS ( 3rd part scheduler ) 

gerconn
7 - Meteor

We have implemented this by getting Control-M to call a shell script which then triggers an Alteryx app via the API. That app contains a number of workflows which are kicked off in sequence using the Crew Macro Runner tools. 

Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

Hey, just a check. So you have the scheduled installed along with designer? Curious to know if its other way round. 

chamarthivamsi
5 - Atom

Hi

We have a requirement to call workflow from Control-M. can you please provide the detailed steps how to write the shell scripts to call the alteryx workflow.

JohnBell
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm not too familiar with Control M jobs, but I know we have a few Control M jobs apparently calling Alteryx workflows...here's my take...

1) As an Admin I don't appear to have visibility since they're not a "scheduled" workflow

2) I've found the Control M jobs by going thru the Engine logs

3) I've noticed (but can't proof) that even though the control M job has completed it seems to take a lot of resources.  I have a sequence of workflows that run every 2 hours without issue except on the hour when the Control M job is running.

Can anyone send me a link or give me additional information so I can better understand the nuances of Control M jobs with Alteryx...and why would one want to use Control M when we have Alteryx scheduler?

Thanks in advance...

jasonMMedina
7 - Meteor

@KaneG

Will running the AlteryxEngineCmd myModule.yxmd put the job at the front of the queue?

I am looking for a way to execute a workflow with High priority.  Is there a CL option for addtoqueue or will calling AlteryxEngineCmd push the job to the top of the queue?  Thank you.