Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Gallery - Error: Append to existing Excel File

Andre88
5 - Atom

Hello!

One of my workflow output is a Log file (Excel file) in which new data is appended to the existing sheet.

It works OK locally, but when I upload it to the gallery I get this error:

The job XXX did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:

• Record #1: Tool #236: Error while appending to existing sheet in Excel. File does not exist: D:\Alteryx\Service\Staging\1624_975f5b6f5cec41e2a77c171179f5518f\_externals\10\AddedData.xlsx (Tool Id: 73)

It seems like I am saving a temporary file, which I am not. I have specificed by parameter the location of the output (fullpath)

My guess is that, for some strange reason Alteryx creates a temporary file when is run in the Gallery to append new data to an existing file.  

Any ideas how to solve this one?

Thank you!!!

Andre88_0-1577803924742.png

4 REPLIES 4
VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @Andre88,

My guess is that you need to manage your workflow dependencies. 

Managing your Workflow Dependencies is a best practice for sharing because of the frequency that path references become broken when sending workflows between analysts, sharing on the Gallery, or scheduling workflows. The reason for this is that most path references are done specific to the system that a workflow was created on, before the workflow is moved to another location.

Try to change your output path to UNC

Found in the Options > Advanced Options > Workflow Dependencies

You can follow this post for more details

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Workflow-Dependencies/ta-p/49696

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
Andre88
5 - Atom
I already tried that.
I changed it to relative path and has not solved the issue.
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Andre88 

I believe it's because that file is being packaged as an asset file when publishing to your Gallery. You can define which assets should and shouldn't get package when you're saving out to Gallery as illustrated below.

image.png

That said, you'll need to ensure that the location of your file is at a location that the servers run-as account has access to. If the file resides on a network share, as @VianneyM had mentioned, you'll need to be sure that the UNC path (\\fileserve\mydepartment\something\myfile.xlsx) is used and not a mapped letter.

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Andre88
5 - Atom

Thanks! 🙂