Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Timed out in OutboundNamedPipe::WriteFile: after 5000 milliseconds Error

Yongcan
8 - Asteroid

When I run some complicated workflow, alteryx start failing with below Error. It don't contain any "out data", what could properly be the cause of error?

I tried to troubleshoot but no log generated.

Machine: Virtual Machine with Win 7

Alteryx Version:2018.3.4.51585

Start: Designer x64: Started running \\dummyServer\Test.yxmd.yxmd at 09/27/2018 10:38:10
Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: Timed out in OutboundNamedPipe::WriteFile: after 5000 milliseconds
End: Designer x64: Finished running Test.yxmd in 5.6 seconds with 1 error

7 REPLIES 7
Inactive User
Not applicable

User Settings/Server settings, adjust the length of run time of the workflow. That can be the issue if it is low.

Yongcan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for quick response, I tried increase default sort/join usage.After tried multiple times and it do can run some time. 

Also i notice when alteryx running at low cache/memory, some dynamic tool won't populate output and there is no warning message. 

system is under 16 G and allocate 6G+ for workflow to run.

tammybrown_tds
8 - Asteroid

In case someone comes to this thread looking for assistance, I thought I'd provide the two solutions that worked for me.  

1) While working remotely, an Alteryx session was left open overnight while the VPN disconnected.  The VPN was reconnected, and most Alteryx workflows (and other programs) worked just fine, but the workflow that had the tools that were throwing this error continued to error out.  I closed all of the Alteryx sessions and went one step further to restart the laptop and the VPN.  After that, the workflow ran successfully.

2) Add a Block Until Done tool right before the tool that is erroring out.  If the records are coming out of an input that is slow, it sometimes doesn't feed them fast enough to the next tool.  Putting in a Block Until Done tool ensures that those tolls won't try to run until the incoming records are ready.

In my case, it was a CASS tool (from the Alteryx Data Product package) that was causing the error, but I have had these methods work with other tools that throw this error, as well.

Arch
8 - Asteroid

Is the length of run time still a changeable parameter? I can't find where this is changed. I'm using Designer version 2021.1.4.

Arch
8 - Asteroid

Not much hair left to pull out on this one.  I've tried restarting my computer, adding a Block Until Done tool, and have used a Sample tool to restricted the number of records to a ridiculously low 20 records and am still getting the same error. The error is occurring in a CASS tool. I've added a Filter tool and Message tool in the outputs 1 and 2 of the Block Until Done tool, and the CASS tool in output 3.

I've also extracted the portion of the workflow that has the error and put it in its own workflow, in case there was some interaction with the rest of the workflow.

One thing that I can't understand is why the progress in the CASS tool is greater than zero, when the Block Until Done tool is less than 100%? The CASS tool shows 25% progress, when the Block Until Done tool is at 83%.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to get around this problem?

Thanks.

ytan
5 - Atom

I am having similar issues on ConsumerView Control, Error: ConsumerView Matching (373): Tool #3: Timed out in OutboundNamedPipe::WriteFile: after 5000 milliseconds. Tried Block Until tool, didn't work, and it's right after we upgraded CASS to Aug. '23. Help!

ytan
5 - Atom

Actually, this was resolved by contacting Alteryx and a new CASS build was released and installed.

Labels