Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge cells similar to excel

JP_1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there - I was hoping someone could help with a problem I am facing.  I have some data which I am combining, where Personnel may feature on more than one row.  I want to add a new column (which I know how to do) to be completed offline out of Alteryx but I want the cells in the column to be merged to one cell for each Personnel, exactly like the Cleared [Yes/No] column below.  It is because the Cleared column will be populated manually out of Alteryx and the entry going into that column (i.e. Yes or No) applies to each individual rather than each Client/Contract.  Therefore, I am trying to avoid a situation where we manually have to drag entries down that column as Personnel could appear thousands of times.  Appreciate any help that people can provide.

PersonnelPersonnel IDClient Contract NameCleared [Yes/No]
JP123Client1Contract1 
JP123Client1Contract2
JP123Client2Contract3
XG562Client3Contract4 
XG562Client3Contract5
XG562Client1Contract2
XG562Client3Contract5
XG562Client4Contract6
IA901Client2Contract3 
AC492Client1Contract2 
DG674Client5Contract7 
DG674Client5Contract8
DG674Client5Contract9
11 REPLIES 11
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @JP_1 

Its not completely clear can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

JP_1
6 - Meteoroid

The sample input is just more detailed data than shown in the attached pictures which I have Summarized down.  It is the additional column with merged cells by Personnel that I am struggling with.  I have attached a picture as the table I was drawing in the box wasn't formatting correctly.

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@JP_1,

I suppose the input look like this :

messi007_0-1633516084742.png

You can use a multi-row formula to take the first value for each Personnel

messi007_1-1633516147185.png

Please see below the final output

messi007_2-1633516185656.png

Attached the workflow,

Regards,

JP_1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your response.  

As I mentioned, the Cleared column will be populated manually out of Alteryx.  It will not be coming back into Alteryx.  I am looking to create a column with empty merged cells and merged per Personnel (similar to the drawing I have attached).

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @JP_1 

Edit:  I stand corrected.  Brilliant,  outside-the-box solution from @Christina_H. (See below)  I'd upvote this more than once if I could.

The merging that you see in Excel is formatting that is applied by the Excel engine.  There is no way to output data from Alteryx with either merged rows or merged columns that don't involve merging the data into a single cell.  To do this you'd have to merge the data in all the cells in the row like this.  Data from rows 2 and 3 from your initial table are in a single cell per column separated by line breaks.

PersonnelPersonnel IDClient Contract NameCleared [Yes/No]
JP123Client1Contract1 

JP

JP

Client1

Client 2

Contract2

Contract3

XG562Client3Contract4 

Dan

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@JP_1,

May be something like this could help :

Then you use render tool to create the excel file

messi007_0-1633522049484.png

Regards,

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @JP_1,

What you're suggesting isn't really good practice, merged cells within excel tables cause all sorts of problems.

I also don't know if Alteryx can actually generate merged cells on output to Excel.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply have a separate table with a single row for each staff member with their "Cleared" status and just look that up into your bigger table?

Regards,

Ben

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

This can be done with nested tables, it renders to Excel with merged cells.  This version doesn't have the headers yet, those would need to be created separately.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @JP_1 

Here is my take on it. I was facing border issue gave it another shot was able to resolve it now by using pipe | (I guess I should have given it another shot before only 😅).

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1633522898955.png

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1633522915397.png

Hope this helps : )

Labels