Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Insert Thousand Separator with Formula tool

jboschee
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to add a thousand separator in the formula tool where my exchange rate calculation is.  Is this possible?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Hugo
9 - Comet

Hi jboschee,

I dont think this is available if you want to keep the field as a number - however if you are OK with changing the field to a string, you can use the ToString() function

TOSTRING(x, numDec, addCommas)Converts a numeric parameter to a string using [numDec] decimal places. There is also a third parameter to return the appropriate comma.

Optional Parameters:

addCommas: 0 or false (default) means format the numeric string without commas; 1 or true means format with commas.

Example

TOSTRING(10, 0) returns "10" as a text string

TOSTRING(10.2, 2)returns "10.20" as a text string

TOSTRING(1000.2, 2, 1)returns "1,000.20" as a text string

jboschee
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Hugo!  That worked great.

Gavinxiao
5 - Atom

Hi Hugo,

do you have any idea why did i get below error message:

the formula"XXX" resulted in a string but the field is numeric. Use ToNumber(...)if this is correct.(Expression#1)

and the formula i put is : ToString([NET],2,1)

i have been searching a answer for a whole afternoon now..........

ups366
8 - Asteroid

@Gavinxiao , Hi !

If you typed formula ToString([NET],2,1) in field [Result], because the ToString return a string, so your data type of  field [Result] must be like "V_WString", may be you used a error type like "Double" now.

GT1
5 - Atom

I am unable to get the tostring formula to work when trying to insert a comma in my count.  The following error occurs.  Please advise.

The formula "count" resulted in a string but the field is numeric

Labels