Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Hyperlink Excel Formula

acanonicco001
5 - Atom

Hi

I have an output which contains an url in one column and a title in another one. Is there a way to output a field (as the hyperlink excel formula) that displays only the title but when you click it, it contains the url link? Or something similar?

Thanks for the help!

9 REPLIES 9
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @acanonicco001 

I believe the tool to create hyperlinks in Alteryx is the Report Text tool.

This will create the hyperlink (see attached) but I am not sure that it will work for you full scenario.

Unless it is just that that you want in your Excel sheet.

Loic
Alteryx
Alteryx

@acanonicco001 Here is how to do it. It will show the title as an active URL and when clicking on it in Excel it will actually go to the URL directly.

Use reporting tools (default excel output doesn't allow formatting): "Text" tool to create a new text field with this syntax: <Link [Title:A]|[URL:A]>

Basic Table and then Render to create an excel file that takes into account formatting.

Loic_0-1576860292229.png

Loic_1-1576860380475.png

Output:

Loic_2-1576860446797.png

acanonicco001
5 - Atom

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Jason_
7 - Meteor

This method is great, and it works well; however, I have a situation that seems like a bug. Has anyone else encountered this:

After creating the link, I have a CrossTab

My links come out fine if I export before the cross tab, but after the cross tab they are shortened.

The Link is what is being aggregated in the cross tab (method=First).

If anyone has encountered this and can help, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks.

bcastro1991
6 - Meteoroid

If you don't want to use Reporting Tools, you could also create the hyperlink by creating the Excel Hyperlink function within a Formula tool. 

Excel Hyperlink Syntax: HYPERLINK(link_location, [friendly_name])

In Formula tool:

Create URL - if you are dynamically creating links (Maybe linking to different records in an internal application)

Create Hyperlink - '=hyperlink("' +[URL]+ '","' + [record id/ specific name in data set]+'")" '

Bold denotes "String Text"

bcastro1991_0-1643827315129.png

In the final output, you would render that newly created "Hyperlink" column, and that would write to your excel output

Hanno
5 - Atom

I tried this formula in one of my workflows but result is a cell with truncated characters and the output excle file creates an error message during opening...
Any idea how to solve this...

Hanno_0-1652265005672.png

TeresaZhang7517
7 - Meteor

Hi,

You may need check hyperlink of formula, it should be '=hyperlink("www.url","friendly name of hyperlink")'. But in above reply it is '=hyperlink("www.url","friendly name of hyperlink)"'. I think it is reason why you got opening error.

U505205
5 - Atom

Hello,

I used the HyperLink to create the links. But in the output excel file, the link was shown as text file.  Clicking on the text field won't take me to the right place.   I have to click on the cell, add a blank space, then click enter key to make it become active link.   

My excel works fine if I manually create a hyperlink. Does anyone encounter such issue and how to solve it?

Thank you

Lisha

U505205
5 - Atom

I was able to figure it out using LInk.  Here is my code and it works well. 

<Link [Back to Summary:A]|#'Summary'!A1>

Thank you

Lisha

Labels