Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Comparing Data from Two Sets of Data, Calling out Differences

egorman3
5 - Atom

I need help comparing an old set of data to a new set of data and creating a list of all changes. The problem here, is there is about 15 columns and every column could potentially change in the update. 

Any help is appreciated. I have attached one sample document, this would just be updated monthly with updates or changes to the columns.

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
gc
9 - Comet

You could try doing a Union of both data sets, followed by a Unique tool that looks at all 15 columns to sort records into "Unique" and "Duplicate". Where a record shows up in "Duplicates" you know it has a mate in "Unique" where nothing changed in the 15 columns. If a record is in "Unique", then it's either A) new or B) different/changed from one data set to the other, assuming the newer data set does not include any deleted records. Do you have a unique key that does not change for these records? Might want to add new column for "data source" before the Union, and don't include that column in the Unique. Maybe something like that. Hope that's somewhat clear :)

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@egorman3 I think transposing the data would work. I've included the start of a workflow, along with the sample excel file where I created a new tab to simulate new data (I changed several data points, plus added and removed fields.) You will need to determine what your key field(s) is(are) to compare from one dataset to the next. I've assumed it's the project name for the time being. Then you transpose the rest of your data (which will dynamically take new columns). Then you can join the data to the new data set and see what differences exist. You can play aronund with the data at the end (perhaps a crosstab) if you want your final output to look different. 

Hopefully this gets you started!

anthony
11 - Bolide

Here is my version - Join all fields(assumes they are same each time*) and look at differences and report out what changed. 

*If the new data set could have new columns, then you could use the field tool to get column names and then update the join xml in a macro to handle this case. Would require you to add missing columns with NULLs to original data source with a similar approach and then flagging records/columns that have new columns and data in those columns. 

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

How easy would it be to adjust this if I don't need a Record ID? I have HR data that includes a unique identified # for each employee. I think I fixed it to use that instead.

However, how do I account if one of the files has that ID # and the file doesn't or vice versa? 

Adam

SamDrury
7 - Meteor

I found that a combination of the suggested approaches worked best for me to improve performance. 

I was comparing very large data sets with many columns.Transpose and compare when data sets are very large result in millions of rows being checked that are identical. I found it essential to rule out as many identical rows as possible as quickly as possible. 

I used the following approach (I'm sure it could be improved further):

1. Make sure that each data source has an data set identifier column, add it if not (e.g. a column called "Data Set" with "Data set 1" or "Data set 2"). My data also has a row ID which I created by concatenating some key fields that I know will be the same between data sets (this is needed for the transpose stage).
  2. Union the two data sets
  3. Unique tool (select all column except data set identifier which will be different)
  4. Join Unique and Duplicate outputs, take only the left output (this is removing all of the rows that are identical from the unique output)
  5. You are now left with two rows for each row, so it's time to find out what is different. Use a filter tool to split "Data set 1" from "Data set 2". 
  6. Transpose the data for both data set 1 and 2, group by Data set ID and Row ID. You will now have one row per field for each of the two data sets. "Name" will be the field name, and "Value" will be the value to compare. 
  7. Now join the data sets based on Data Set ID, row ID, and "Name" (which is the field name). You will now have for every single row a column for the value from the first data set, and a column for the value from the second data set. 
  8. Now compare them using a formula or a filter! 

Props to @gc for suggesting unique tool (quick way to rule out a lot of calculations) and @patrick_digan and @anthony for discussion around transpose/join. Thanks! 

gmv
7 - Meteor

Hi - Would appreciate if anyone can help. So i tried this below example and it works good and helped partly for my requirement, However, this does not find out newly inserted rows ? for example . I have old and new flow .

old is my Table1 , new is table 2. which has exact same columns , i need to find if any records got inserted or updated or deleted into table 1 and make those updates into table 2.  Any suggestions to perform this ? totally new and have been trying multiple approaches.

SamDrury
7 - Meteor

Sounds like you need to use join tool to find newly inserted or deleted rows. Have you checked out this blog? 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Compare-2-Data-Sets/ba-p/88853 

gmv
7 - Meteor

Hi - Yes i checked it out. i need to compare 2 data sources and then find out the insert, updated and deleted rows in source 1 and sync that up with source 2. I could acheive that with below tools, by adding the final output tool using the update ,insert new property and this works good. 

Im stuck with delete flow. Could some one help with identifying deletes and which tool to use ? i read about delete options, looks there are not much.

thanks a lot !

domo_arigatoo
7 - Meteor

Hi @SamDrury,

I was using your approach till Step 4.

However, when I was looking at my data on Left output, it was showing 2 sets of unique rows.

And I was unable to identify the differences on this Left output.

Does 'Unique' tool has any limitations as I was comparing double data?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards

Labels