community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Chained apps: Return to the previous app

Atom

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to alteryx and I'm developing a data extract tool.

I have already built the tool with 5 chained apps, however, I am not able to create an interface or action that will let the user go back to the previous apps in case he needs to revise the filters he selected.

I have 4 levels of filters, see below. These are dynamically pulled from a database.

ZONEREGIONSUBREGIONCOUNTRY
China OperationsChinaChinaCN
China OperationsChinaHong Kong And MacauHK
Europe OperationsCentral And Eastern EuropeAustria And SwitzerlandAT
Europe OperationsCentral And Eastern EuropeAustria And SwitzerlandCH
Europe OperationsCentral And Eastern EuropeBenelux And Israel

BE

Below is a screen shot which is already at the level 2 filter (region). I want to be able to go back and forth the apps. Please provide solutions or any workaround.

Capture.JPG

Alteryx Certified Partner

This is theoretical...

At the end of an application, the next chained app is MENU.

MENU will call  NEXT.yxwz as the next application and based upon the selection, you must WRITE the XML for NEXT to basically continue to the next application where you updated the XML

<Wiz_ChainRunWizard>Do this step now.yxwz<Dependencies><Implicit /><Dependencies></Wiz_ChainRunWizard>

Maybe it could work...

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.

Hi @ccabarle,

Unfortunately, there's not a way (that I've found at least) to tell a chained app to go back a step. You can potentially add some type of option that would ask the same question again within the current chain running, but that just seems like a slippery slope... I wouldn't suggest attempting it.

I'd suggest submitting this as an idea!

Product Ideas

Kind regards,

Jimmy

Atom

Hi Mark,

Can you guide me further on how to do this. 

Will this create an interface for returning to the previous app or is this just an event triggered when the next/continue button is clicked?

Not really familiar with modifying the XML codes...

Atom
@jrgo wrote:

Hi @ccabarle,

Unfortunately, there's not a way (that I've found at least) to tell a chained app to go back a step. You can potentially add some type of option that would ask the same question again within the current chain running, but that just seems like a slippery slope... I wouldn't suggest attempting it.

I'd suggest submitting this as an idea!

Product Ideas

Kind regards,

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, I was just wondering if there is a tool like a "back" button where the user can just simply navigate through the chains. Seems like there is none. Will submit this as an idea then. 

@ccabarle,

It'd be a really nice function to have. I did see your idea and added my vote to it! Hope it gets traction...

Best,

Jimmy

Atom

I know this thread is old but in case someone comes searching for this answer still there is a way to do this (though it is not perfect).

1) Just add a link in the interface design and set the destination to the relative path of the app that you want it to direct the user back to. 

clipboard_image_1.png

2) As a result the current window remains open (not the best user experience) but a new window opens with that app at its starting point.  

clipboard_image_0.png

Labels