Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

write to Excel with Render Tool, keep the Formulas behind

Mert
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

This question is the second part of my problem. First part is at Incremental String (Excel Formula) based on Location in case you would like to check. 

I would like to write my data to 3 separate excel files, split by Location. I am using Render Tool for it. However, I would also like to keep the Excel formulas accessible/available once the data is written to the excel files.

Let's say it is C5*B5 so 5*6, then I would like to see 30 on the cell BUT would also like to see the formula on top when I click on it. 

I could manage to get this done by using Output Data tool however I need to use Render Tool to have separate files.

Please note that my report has a couple of lines of headers therefore the data starts from 5th line, therefore the sample formulas start from B5, C5 etc.

Hope the description is clear enough. I am sharing a sample workflow with some dummy data for convenience. Thanks in advance for your help! 

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
19 - Altair

@Mert- writing to an excel file via render deletes the existing file. You will not be able to access any formulas. What you are asking about can be done by writing to an existing sheet and keeping the existing formulas - but you have to be careful only to write to the existing cells referenced in the formula - not the formula itself.

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @Mert --

See this article using the BLOB tool. It might get you to where you need to be.

https://intersectionsandoverlaps.wordpress.com/2019/09/27/alteryx-excel-templates-with-blob-tools/

You can format an Excel file with formulas and then just write data to a particular range. Each time you run the workflow; it takes a new copy of the template.

If this works, please make as accepted solution.

Thanks,

Seth

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels