Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

update a workflow constant

amjadmanasra
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone 

I was going through the workflow constant documentation and I find this statement :

"the constant can be updated via a Question tool or modified on the Workflow tab in the Workflow Configuration window."

in this article https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/constants

I am not sure, does it mean there is a way to update a "constant" from inside the workflow?

or maybe it means something else!

7 REPLIES 7
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@amjadmanasra All constants can be found in the Workflow Tab of the configuration pane (when no tool is selected).

Here I've made a new constant and given it the value of 50 - I've also ticked to indicate it is a number

OllieClarke_0-1664816541422.png

I can change this value if I want by typing something else in.

This constant can be used wherever we have an expression editor (say in a formula tool)

OllieClarke_1-1664816608805.png

When you have interface tools, these tools become new constants which are accessible in the workflow tab - it's here where you can set default values for them.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

amjadmanasra
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks, Ollie for the detailed response 

I was wondering why the documentation mission it is possible to update constant value using the Question tool, as

the only possible way, I am aware of is using the workflow tab as you also detailed in your response 

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@amjadmanasra by question tool the documentation means interface tool. Whenever you place one of these on the canvas, you get a new constant with the type 'Question' (as opposed to engine or user) which then can be viewed in the workflow pane. 

The value that these constants have can be set in the workflow pane, but they will be overwritten by whatever is selected by the user in the app/macro

OllieClarke_0-1664890850687.png

Does that make sense?

amjadmanasra
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks Ollie ,

Crystal Clear 

Kalpesh1
5 - Atom

Hi Ollie, thanks for this. I'm curious if there is a way to set these "constants" in the workflow itself?

I.e. Based on some input file, the constants should be set to certain values that will be used downstream instead of needing to link all the downstream tools to the input file.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Kalpesh1 

I don't believe so, but you could wrap your workflow up as a macro, and then feed in constant values - it's maybe pushing the problem 1 step back though...

Kalpesh1
5 - Atom

Got it! Thanks for the response and the option!

Labels