Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

extracting sheet names from excel sheets with different schemas

lumjingbki
8 - Asteroid

Hi I have a excel file with different sheets and with different column names I have created a batch macro to extract the sheet details from the file and I am able to append all the data into a single file but I also want the "Sheet names" so that with the help of different sheet names I can segregate the data once the data is extracted as the sheets have different columns. can you please help. 

4 REPLIES 4
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @lumjingbki ,

In the Dynamic Input tool in the Batch Macro, when you specify "Input Source Data Template",

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1683534614098.png

you can configure to "Output File Name as Field" as "Full Path", so that the Full path and Sheet name are output.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1683533675114.png

Then in the main Workflow,

Yoshiro_Fujimori_2-1683534718578.png

you can parse the string to File name and Sheet name with RegEx such as:

SheetName = REGEX_Replace([FileName], ".*\|{3}(.*)", "$1")

FileName = REGEX_Replace([FileName], ".*\\(.*)\|{3}.*", "$1")

Output

Yoshiro_Fujimori_3-1683534816484.png

Does this work for your case?

lumjingbki
8 - Asteroid

@Yoshiro_Fujimori Thank you for the quick response. am getting "The field "" is missing. Compare the tool configuration with the input stream" error.  In your workflow I notice that there are multiple excel files. In my case I have one excel file and have different sheets with different schemas. I am using batch macros to append the sheet data but I want the sheets names so that I can differentiate the data appended.  

lumjingbki_0-1683536669439.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@lumjingbki Since you have different schema only batch macro works, attaching the sample workflow for your referene

binuacs_0-1683538218806.png

someotherguy
8 - Asteroid

@Yoshiro_Fujimori  Thanks for this, didn't realize full path gave the sheet name as well. Had to modify the regex slightly to remove the ` $` that surrounds the table name

2023-11-02 18_00_02-Alteryx Designer x64 - SAP - VK11 - KMAT pricing tables 2023-10-24.yxmd.png

REGEX_Replace([FileName], ".*\|{3}(.*)", "$1")         before

REGEX_Replace([FileName], ".*\|{3}`(.*)\$`", "$1")    after

Labels