Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wrong number of parameters in expression

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Good afternoon,

I am attempting to write an expression through the formula tool and continue to get an error message that reads "wrong number of parameters for the function Null".  I have written these types of expressions in the past and have never run into this issue.  I am guessing that it is a relatively easy fix which I am unable to determine what to change.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MHS_0-1618336225948.png

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MHS ,

Are you trying to input a null value as the last clause? if so, drop the "0" from in the parentheses. Just null().

M.

Bulien

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey,

I attempted that earlier and get a different error message of "Invalid type in operator >=".  I have tried to change up the greater than or equal to portion, but cannot get rid of the error message?

MHS_0-1618337278972.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MHS , this is due to the data type. What is the data type of the field?

Bulien

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey,

I have it coming into the formula tool as a date, does this need to be changed?

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @MHS 

When referencing a date field, you need to put quotes around the date in your formula. 

IF [Field1]>= '2020-03-19' THEN '2020.07' ELSE Null() ENDIF

Thanks!

Phil

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MHS , you are comparing dates in a string field. Wrap the dates in a todate() function:

if [created] >=todate(2020-01-01) then "2020.01" etc.

M.

Bulien

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Maskell_Rascal and @mceleavey,

Thanks for all the help with this, the quotations addressed the error and the workflow ran successfully!

Matt

Labels