Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Write data to AWS Athena using IAM Role (key less)

pbermingham
5 - Atom

Our access to pull data from AWS Athena is based on IAM roles This means we don't need to specify Keys to read data from Athena using ODBC.  I'm having trouble because I need to write data to Athena now and our infosec team will not allow IAM users and therefore I can not get the AWS Access and AWS secret keys.

My IT team has suggested using STS service to get a temp key - that would expire after 3600 seconds.  but might be able to develop a macro that retrieves the keys and updates the database connection string. 

Has anyone been able to resolve this or can ting of another way to solve this. 

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
19 - Altair

How are you authenticating to STS to get the temp key? 

I am confused though - when you say write to athena - do you mean write to s3? I'd recommend pre-authenticating to AWS on your machine and writing via AWS CLI script/run command.

pbermingham
5 - Atom

Thanks @apathetichell for your reply.  I'm saying write to Athena because to date I have been tryin to is the Amazon Athena bulk connection under data sources.  I'm happy to write data as CSV as I don't think Alteryx can write parque..  In terms of your proposed solution.  I'm assuming the pre-atuh would happen via the CLI also?  Do you have an example on how that would work?

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels