Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Vlookup on multiple columns

Speranta
5 - Atom

Dear all, hope you can help with the following situation: 

I have one table (Input table 1) with multiple columns and I need to add for each column other 2 columns( Name and Manager) from Input table 2. Normally in excel I use VLOOKUP for each column.

Is there any way that I can do this in Alteryx even if I need to use multiple connections? 

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Speranta 

If you coming to Alteryx from Excel there is a handy guide here - https://www.alteryx.com/resources/product-guides/alteryx-excel

You'd be able to do this in a complex way, but, to keep it simple it can be acheived using multiple Join tools, joining Input 2 against each RO column one at a time:

DavidSkaife_0-1675245633562.png

Note: Alteryx will not let you have multiple columns named the same, so i've called them Name, Nam2, Name3 etc

Workflow attached for you to have a look at!

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

@Speranta this had me thinking more than I expected for a solution without just joining (Although saying that, joining is good too)

JamesCharnley_0-1675245798210.png

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

You can do this with multiple joins, however Alteryx also gives you other options.  Here's a more dynamic option using Transpose, which should scale to more RO columns.

Christina_H_0-1675246721958.png

Speranta
5 - Atom

Thank you all, very useful.

Labels