Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Validating exact character length

BryanB3384
5 - Atom

Hi, new user here. 

I have a spreadsheet with about 20 columns of data. Is there a quick way to verify the number of characters in the data for each column? Some columns can have less than the maximum allowed characters (name, address, etc), but some need to be an exact character count (10 digit account number, 9 digit tax ID, etc). After my input tool, I've added a select tool to change the data type to String and to set the max size for each column. 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisTX
16 - Nebula

Convert all of your fields to data type String, if needed

or add function ToString around your numeric fields

Then use a Multi-Field Formula tool, select all of the Text fields, and use a Formula like

Length([_CurrentField_])

Screenshot 2024-07-12 103012.png

Then you could use a Dynamic Select with a formula to pick only the fields that start with "Length_"

Then use a Transpose tool then Filter tool to select only the Length values you're interested in

Chris

BryanB3384
5 - Atom

This was helpful, especially the Multi-Field Formula tool. Thank you!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels