Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using a custom macro to convert data source date

crunyeon
7 - Meteor

Hi All.  I'm trying to import data from a CSV, then later in my workflow do a calculation on two dates.  When the data comes in through the CSV, however, the dates are strings.  So I built a custom macro that takes the string date and converts it to a DateTime value.  

My problem is that when I connect it to my data source, it only outputs the DateTime value and leaves all of the other data from the source (ie. names, order numbers, etc) behind.  How can I create a workflow that will run the dates through my macro to convert them, but then rejoin the converted date with the rest of the record that comes in with the source.

I included an example of what I would like to do along with the date conversion macro.  The input isn't a CSV but it should work the same.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A Standard Macro will by default only pass whatever columns are in the Macro Input template.

To get the rest of the fields to come through, put a Select tool after your Formula too, and add the Action to "Update Select with Reverse Field Map" (linking the Macro Input to the Action to the Select).

I've attached a simple example.

MichaelCh
Alteryx
Alteryx

You may be able to achieve your ultimate goal (parsing a custom date/time) with the DateTimeParse function in the Formula tool. I think that would replace your entire macro.

Labels