Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Dynamic Input tool for Excel Files, need to add additional field from Text Input

MikeyT
5 - Atom

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to Alteryx so excuse my jargon if I'm not using the correct words..

I'm using the dynamic input tool in conjuction with the text input tool to pull in multiple excel files at once. The text input tool has all the paths to each excel file, the only difference in the paths are the file names which are denoted by which week it is.. 

I'm able to successfully pull the data from each excel files because they all have the same structure, what I'm wanting to do is append the specific Week that the data is coming from.
For example, currently it is stacking each files' data on top of each other - what I need is after it pulls the data for each week to append that week's number from the text input tool onto that week before grabbing the next file's data.

Any help would be much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Garrett
11 - Bolide

Have you tried using the "Output File Name as Field" option within the Dynamic Input tool's "Input Data Source Template" configuration?

End result will be a new column containing the file name or full path to each file from which each row in the unioned data originated.

MikeyT
5 - Atom

I thought that option was only available for the Input Data tool and not the Dynamic Input tool? Can you specify or show were that is because there doesn't seem to be much in the configuration?

Garrett
11 - Bolide

Click the 'Edit' button under 'Input Data Source Template'.

Connect to your template XLSX file (just as you would in the Input Data tool).

• Under 'Options' find #5 'Output File Name as Field'. (Might need to scroll down to find option #5 depending on screen res.)

DynamicInput.PNG

MikeyT
5 - Atom

Oh wow.. Did not think to look there. That was exactly what I needed, thanks Garrett! I was afraid I was going to have to create a simple batch macro for it, thankfully not!

Labels