Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text to column does not work properly

r_gratz
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all, I have a csv file with a lot of data that I need to split to columns (in the end the file should have around 85 columns). I was not able to split the file directly in the input tool since it returned this error (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Too-many-fields-in-record-1/td-p/46926....) Then when I try to split the file using split to columns tool it works well for first 30 columns and then it does not work properly. Does anyone know what might be the issue? 

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
chukleswk
11 - Bolide

@r_gratz Without looking at a sample of the input file, it would be difficult to guess as to why it's not splitting after the first 30 columns. Do you have a sample of the data that you can share or a sample input file?

r_gratz
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @chukleswk sure, please see attached. the file does not change structure or anything after the first few columns, it just more years of the same data.

chukleswk
11 - Bolide

@r_gratz I tried it and had no issue. You're going to have to do some real data clean-up on it. One thing to check is that your Field Length is long enough in order to accommodate the parsing that you are using. I am attaching the flow that I used in order to parse it out.

Capture.PNG

r_gratz
6 - Meteoroid

The field length did it, thank you!

Labels