Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Table tool: Format only part of a string

jgv27
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to only format a substring within a string field with the Table tool

I want to search for a specific substring, replace it with only a section of the substring and then format the font colour of the substring.

(You can also refer to my post from yesterday to see the first part of the problem: Search-for-a-word-or-words-within-a-string-and-add-substring)

Example:

String - "Thank you Alteryx for an amazing platform for Data Analysis. I am new to the data world, but am enjoying to learning experience. The problem with DATA is that it's in everything, it's dynamic, it's unstructured and difficult for an untrained process to understand. However, the better you structure the process, the better it will understand the data."

Search word - "data"

Expected search word result - <span style="color:BLUE><u> + [SearchWord] + </u></span>"

Search Result -  "Thank you Alteryx for an amazing platform for <span style="color:BLUE><u>Data</u></span> Analysis. I am new to the <span style="color:BLUE><u>data</u></span> world, but I am enjoying to learning experience. The problem with <span style="color:BLUE><u>DATA</u></span> is that it's in everything, it's dynamic, it's unstructured and difficult for an untrained process to understand. However, the better you structure the process, the better it will understand the <span style="color:BLUE><u>data</u></span>."

Format Result - "Thank you Alteryx for an amazing platform for Data Analysis. I am new to the data world, but am enjoying to learning experience. The problem with DATA is that it's in everything, it's dynamic, it's unstructured and difficult for an untrained process to understand. However, the better you structure the process, the better it will understand the data."

At the moment, I search for the keywords with the workflow, and get to the Search Result part. I however export the result to excel, and then with VBA generate html files to format the search words within the information. I would like to perform the exercise in Alteryx to keep everything together and to generate the reports from within Alteryx.

Any help in this regards would be much appreciated.

An Alteryx Enthusiast

3 REPLIES 3
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @jgv27 

I think that would only be possible using the Report Text, but then you would need to write out the sentence or create a dynamic logic to update specific portions of the sentence.

pedrodrfaria_0-1613133648588.png

Let me know if you need help with the Report Text.

Pedro.

jgv27
7 - Meteor

@pedrodrfaria thank you again for your response.

I would definitely need some help with the Report Text tool as I am not too familiar with it yet. My workflow has several thousand records, therefore I would need to create a dynamic logic to assist with the formatting of the words. Please let me know if you've managed to create something that works.

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @jgv27 

Unfortunately, it would be a really manual solution. I uploaded a sample workflow to show you how you can create dynamic fields and format specific portions.

pedrodrfaria_0-1613136646852.png

Pedro.

Labels