Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Stop reading/loading Input data from second container before first container job is done.

cito
8 - Asteroid

Hello folks,

I have been trying to find a solution for my problem and I have tried generic "Block Until Done", then CReW Macros "Parallel Block Until Done" but still haven't resolved it.

So, what is the point?

Alteryx - Stop Until.JPG

As you can see from the picture, I have multiple input connections split in two containers ( 1 and 2).

Now, when I run the flow all Inputs start at the same time and this is my problem. I would like to "split" reading/loading data in two sections.

So, is it possible when I run the flow to load the data from container 1 and when it's done, then start with reading/loading the data from the second container?

Thank you in advance. 

31 REPLIES 31
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cito 

If your inputs where excel files you would need to pass file path. Since yours is a DB connection you configure the dynamic input tool normally the pass SQL query to it from input tool. Like below

atcodedog05_0-1621959507997.png

EDIT:  @cito Here is a resource on dynamic input tool : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfKYatOJZM from 8:30 min

Sorry i able to help you very limited because of the DB scenario 😅

Hope this helps 🙂

Table of Contents Dynamic Input of Files: 1:00 Dynamic Input for SQL WHERE Clause: 8:16 Dynamic Input for SQL Stored Procedure Parameter: 14:09 A demo of three different way to use the Dynamic Input Tool: loading data from several files, replacing the WHERE clause of a SQL statement, and as input
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@cito ,

Workflow and macro attached.

mceleavey_0-1621959602549.png

M.

Bulien

cito
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05- I need to spend some time for this and after I try it I will let you know.

cito
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey 

I am getting this when I open your flow:

cito_0-1621960301901.png

Am I missing something?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cito ,

I attached the macro. You need to save the macro to your macro folder, or open it in Alteryx, then save it to your macro folder.

M

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@cito ,

I've attached it as a package. Try that.

M.

Bulien

cito
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey 

cito_0-1621961101083.png

Is it possible to send me this package for this version of Alteryx 🙂 as it says that I can't open it due to older version

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cito ,

No, sorry, you'll need to upgrade Alteryx.

However, You can open the macro (attached) and just save it to your macro folder. Then you should be able to open the workflow.

You might get a warning saying it was built on a later version, but it should be fine to open.

M.

Bulien

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cito 

This might equip you with a cool trick to deal with these version issues.

How to downgrade packaged workflow (File types: .yxzp) 

Sorry about the missing images 😅 text is still followable.

Hope this helps 🙂

cito
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey 

So, I saved your macro and opened the flow. It looks like in the picture below:

cito_0-1621961640232.png

So, for this input, circled with a red color, I need to add them as many as I have inputs in the original file?

Labels