Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Stop on error at a given Step

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I'm using bunch of Message tool to validate the data in the columns of my input file. I'm giving pop up messages to user if the data in the columns is not in required format /blank/incorrect data. below is the sample of my workflow. Now requirement is I want my workflow to stop only after the 4th message tool in case the Validation is not successful for any one or more of the message tools and workflow should proceed only if all the 4 validation are successful.

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

hemant86_0-1637329866004.png

10 REPLIES 10
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hemant86 ,

Can you provide the workflow and some mock data to show what you're trying to do?

M.

Bulien

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi @mceleavey  Thanks for your response. Please find the sample Workflow in the attachment. I want the workflow to stop after the 4 Message tool which the  Condition [Field4]>0 only any one or more of the tool has an error. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hemant86 ,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, as your description didn't quite make sense.

Are you saying you only want it to stop if Field4 is greater than zero? So the others don't matter?

I don't understand.

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hemant86 

do you mean you want it to stop if the 4th and any one of the others is in error? So don't stop if 1 and 2 are in error?

M.

Bulien

hemant86
11 - Bolide

That's just a sample I have provided. Basically it should stop irrespective of kind of error. It does not matter if the error is in tool 1,2,3 or 4. If there is a error in tool 1 workflow should proceed to 2 . And again if error on 1 and 2 it should proceed to 3 and if error on 1,2,3 it should proceed to 4. And the workflow should stop after 4. So if there is no error on1,3,4 but there is error on 2 it should stop only after 4 after processing 1,2,3 & 4. The idea is to validate all the available columns in one run and give the respective message to user. I hope I'm able to explain things here.

ConnorK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @hemant86,

I think the best way to do this is by calculating how many unique errors there are in a formula tool then passing the combination of those errors into a single message tool. Please see the attached workflow for reference.

Hope this helps!

Connor Kelleher
Senior Sales Engineer
Alteryx
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hemant86 ,

Ok, in that case, you want to do it all in one and stop the processing with the appropriate message.

However, you'll need to build an if statement that creates the appropriate message for each possible combination.

I've attached the basic build, but this is only for a single instance and it will error on the first thing that goes wrong. It's still not entirely clear what you're trying to achieve, but the attached workflow will get you closer to where you want to be.

If not, please provide an example of what you would like to see. Do you want to see an error for each row of data telling you why each row is in error? If so, you will need to build a batch macro and assign a number for whatever combination each row gets.

For example, if it fails on check 1, then 1. If it fails on 1 and 3, then 2 etc. You will need to build this in a batch macro and feed out the numbers, then feed this into a single error message tool to create the error for each one.

I might be overthinking it. Let me know if the attached is close to what you want.

M.

Bulien

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks @mceleavey  This works to certain extent. But if there are no errors then should proceed and give an output. Its not giving an output. Am I missing something.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hemant86  there are errors. If there are no errors it will proceed, but remember, this does it for ALL rows, so if there is a single error on any row it will stop.

M.

Bulien

Labels