Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Standard Deviation - Multi Row Formula Tool

nsessa
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am a bit stumped on a problem I am having trying to calculate standard deviation of the past 6 iterations of data using the multi row formula tool. I would prefer a solution that allows me to use this tool. 

My data is broken out as follows as an example: I am trying to be able to capture the standard deviation of the past 6 iterations (Row -6 Actuals vs projection: Row-1 Actuals vs Projection). Using Excel I calculate stdev as 9.85%. However using my current formula in Alteryx I get 11.74% as stdev

Actuals vs R6M Projection

- 19.54%

-18.43%

- 2.80%

-4.46%
-1.74%

8.63%

Here is my current Alteryx multi formula tool formula to calculate standard deviation. What am I doing wrong?

SQRT(
(POW([Row-6:Actuals vs R6M projection],2)+
POW([Row-5:Actuals vs R6M projection],2)+
POW([Row-4:Actuals vs R6M projection],2)+
POW([Row-3:Actuals vs R6M projection],2)+
POW([Row-2:Actuals vs R6M projection],2)+
POW([Row-1:Actuals vs R6M projection],2)

)/6
)

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

It looks like you might be using the 'STDEV.P' or 'STDPA' function in excel to come up with the 9.85% number. The way excel calculates the standard deviation with those formulas is different than the formula you've written in Alteryx. 

Excel's logic is:

To reproduce it you need to factor in subtracting the average in the numerator. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

And to prove the @Luke_C is correct - if you run the same calculations in excel - you'll get the same figure you got in Alteryx. One note - is this a population or a sample? If it's a sample you'll have a slightly different STDEV formula.

If you run STDEV through Summarize as attached you get the same result as STDEV (Sample) in Excel... Hope this helps.

Labels