Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Split the data using two column and combine

Jwwwson
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

Please advise if how I should do if I would like to split the data based on the 1st and 2nd name and group according to the names into different excel files, with results as shown below?

Samples:

1st Name 2nd Name Quantity soldCost per unitCity
WilsonSandra2500000Newyork
WilsonPeter4600000Seattle
PeterNA61000000Chicago
DrusillaNA1200000Seattle

expected results:

excel 1:

excel 2: 

PeterNA61000000Chicago

excel 3:

Cheers, 
Jason

5 REPLIES 5
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Jwwwson, what is the logic to group the records across multiple files? For now I have put together a sample for your reference.

AbhilashR_0-1588912571984.png

Please mark this post as a solution accepted if it answers your question, or let us know if this isn't what you are looking for.

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Jwwwson,

what is your criteria for the split? As soon as you have defined a splitting-criteria column you could use the advanced output tool options: 

Let's save your splitting criteria is the first name - therefore we'd create a new file path based on it:

grossal_0-1588913033787.png

We than change the output to take this field into consideration:

grossal_1-1588913069275.png

The output looks like this:

grossal_2-1588913111389.png

I have attached my sample workflow. Let us know what the splitting criteria is and we can figure it out. Feel free to test it yourself in the attached example. Maybe splitting it up into cities would be a good idea? What do you think? If you want it to be split up in cities, just change the [1st Name] Field in the formula to City and you should be good to go.😃

Best

Alex

Jwwwson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AbhilashR 

Actually I have thousands of samples in the data, and first I would like to group the samples by certain columns, say 1st name and 2nd name in this example, and then split the data by name into various excel or tabs. 

Cheers, 
Jason

Jwwwson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @grossal , 

It works! Thanks!

What if I would like to group the data taken into consideration of 1st and 2nd name, say Peter in the sample data, which appears in 1st name in one sample row and 2nd name in another row, but I would like to include all the samples relevant to Peter into the 'Peter' excel, as shown below:

PeterNA61000000Chicago

Any advice on how to define a splitting-criteria column or shall I do it twice, for 1st and 2nd name each and use union to combine?

Cheers, 
jason

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I'd probably go the way you suggested using a Union Tool and a Formula: 

grossal_0-1588919862364.png

I also added a select Tool in the end to remove the helping column from the output. Updated workflow attached. Would this solve it for you?

Best

Alex

Labels