Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Securing sensitive information

fardeen9983
8 - Asteroid

I have a macro that takes Oath claims and private key and some other very sensitive information to return a bearer token. I wanted to know if there is any method or tool to protect this information. The current input format is  in excel sheet which is obviously very insecure and open to all. It is important to provide this input and not just keep it in the macro itself

For example:

1. Encryption
  2. Locking up the macro 
  3. Password protection

P.S cannot share the workflow. Thank for your help and suggestions

3 REPLIES 3
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @fardeen9983 you could encrypt the macro via Options - Advanced Options - lock workflow you may need to put the credentials within the macro and the output could just be the bearer token a user requires. The users would be able to run the workflow and not open it so therefore you need a version you can edit and not locked and another which is locked and shared with users.

Locking Workflow Help

fardeen9983
8 - Asteroid

I am afraid that wont be possible as the credentials might have to be changed and locking is helpful but will it stop someone from editing the yxmc file directly in an xml editor?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Once a workflow is encrypted, the underlying XML is also encrypted. See below for an example. A user is only able to run the workflow/macro, but cannot see any of the underlying contents and configurations.

With regard to securing the output, you can also have this output to a password protected file. This will have to be done using something like Python, but it is possible. An example of writing data out to a password protected PDF can be found here, and the concepts can be applied to an excel as well:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/A-quick-tutorial-for-getting-Alteryx-d... 

echuong1_0-1611700991465.png

Labels