Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Repeating a workflow for many input files

cj20
5 - Atom

I'm using Alteryx for the first time as I am aiming to mould some data into an appropriate format for Data Robot. I have multiple (200+) similar files that I would like to perform the same workflow on, with some steps (such as inserting a column with the type of data) needing to be amended for each file. I am sure there is a faster and easier way than to repeat the workflow I've made, for each file but changing the input each time? Also, I would like there to be a separate output file for each input so not sure if this makes it a more difficult challenge..

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@cj20,

Alteryx allows you to input many files with the same schema from a single input tool.  You can also retain the filename so that you can output the filename in a grouping operation and split the output dynamically.  I'm linking you with a youtube video about the inputs and an interactive training class.

Alteryx Dynamic Inputs

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Writing-Data/ta-p/74561

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
cj20
5 - Atom

Great, thanks very much for the help!

cj20
5 - Atom

I have a new problem, For each of the files I have there are 5 tabs I need to input. For 4 of these tabs there is no problem but for 1 tab only a few of the files are read in using the dynamic input as there is a "different schemas" error. I have managed to run a separate batch macro for this tab which works fine, but I lose the ability to keep a column for the filename - hich was a vital column in distinguishing where rows from one file stopped and the next file started. Is there a way to solve this? 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Have you checked out the CReW macros and looked at the Wildcard XLSX Input macro or the gift macro https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Ultimate-Alteryx-Holiday-gift-of-2015-Read-Al...

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels