Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing special characters from field name

johannescruz
5 - Atom

Hi everyone,

I have this issue where I have to import a .csv file with a lot of quotation marks in it. All the field names have quotation around the actual names. I have no problems in getting rid of these when it comes to the field values. But when I want to remove the quotations from the field names themselves I have no luck.

I know I could use the Selection tool and then manually rename all the field names. However I have a lot of different field and would like to do this in a more effective manner.

For the fields themselves I used the Multi-Field Formula and typed "REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], '"', '')"

I tried doing the same for the field names: "REGEX_Replace([_CurrentFieldName_], '"', '')"

It had no effect.

Does anyone know how to guide me forward in this?

(Attached is a screenshot of some field names)

//Johannes

5 REPLIES 5
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @johannescruz 

Have you tried a simple "Replace" function in the Dynamic Rename tool? in this instance, where you are replacing quote marks, you don't need to use Regex_Replace, which is for pattern recognition. You could also try the ReplaceChar function.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

johannescruz
5 - Atom

Thanks for replying!

I have tried both but with no luck.

The Dynamic Rename does not accept _CurrentFieldName_ but only fields themselves (variables).

And for the ReplaceChar function, I tried that one in a Multi-Field Formula. Unfortunately with no success.

I gladly receive all and any advice for this problem 🙂

//Johannes

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @johannescruz 

Make sure, in the Dynamic Rename tool, that you select the fields that you want to fix the names for. I've attached a picture of the configuration that worked for me. Under "Current Field" in the properties window/Variables, you should see [_CurrentField_] as an option. that's the one you need to use here rather than CurrentFieldName

EstherB47_0-1582902464396.png

Cheers!

Esther

johannescruz
5 - Atom

It seems I was too fast this time 😃

This worked great! Thanks a million!

//Johannes

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@johannescruz