Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove first few rows using the directory.

davidogundipe
8 - Asteroid

Hi guys, 

I'm new to Alteryx and I have a problem. I want to remove the first few rows of my excel spreadsheet because the header row starts in the 5th row. I know you can choose where to start the data input if you use the "Input Data" tool, but I'm using the "Directory" tool to retrieve my excel data because the file is password protected. So how can I remove the first few modes while importing data using the "Directory" tool?

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @davidogundipe 

You cannot configure Directory tool. But what you can do is use select to skip first n rows and use dynamic rename to get column name.

Input:

atcodedog05_0-1602527953051.png

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1602527971730.png

Workflow:

atcodedog05_2-1602527999614.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @davidogundipe 

As @atcodedog05 has said, this isn't possible within the directory tool, but easily achieveable after the fact. I have done it in this example with the sample tool to skip the first x amount of rows, which is essentially the same as @atcodedog05 's suggestion, just a different way of doing it!

TheOC_0-1602529430044.png

Bulien
davidogundipe
8 - Asteroid

*Update* it was my mistake, I just didn't properly integrate your solution with my workflow. This worked!! Thanks!

Thank you so much for the help, this solved 90% of my problem. The other part of the problem is that alteryx is still reading the first row as the header row and keep the row. I would like to keep the data from rows 6 until the end, but the 6th row should also be the header row. Rows 1-5 should be completely deleted. I hope this makes sense. 

davidogundipe
8 - Asteroid

*Update* it was my mistake, I just didn't properly integrate your solution with my workflow. This worked!! Thanks!

Thank you so much for the help, this solved 90% of my problem. I tried your method and the method recommended by the user above.

The other part of the problem is that alteryx is still reading the first row as the header row and keep the row. I would like to keep the data from rows 6 until the end, but the 6th row should also be the header row. Rows 1-5 should be completely deleted. I hope this makes sense.  

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @davidogundipe 

Not a problem!

Here i have attached a solution where i have duplicated that first row that you wanted to keep. I'm sure theres a more elegant solution but this is the solution I had come up with!

TheOC_0-1602533198814.png

Hope it helps!

Bulien
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @davidogundipe 

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 😀

Labels