Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Regex to divide a cell in to multiple cells based on number of char. and new/empty lines

IMSL
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx community,

I need a Regex formula to create multiple columns from a text and a column with "/"  before each new columns.

For example like below picture: creating multiple columns from MAIN_TEXT

IMSL_1-1679914606811.png

Criteria:

1. each new column should not be more than 11 characters.

2. if the MAIN_TEXT has a line break, even if the total characters in the line are less than 11 characters, I need a new column (like column C) 

3. if there is a line break in MAIN_TEXT, I need a blank column (like column E)

4. if a line in the MAIN_TEXT is more than 11 characters, it should be broken to multiple columns. Each one max 11 characters. and NOT breaking a word in to two parts (Like columns G & I)

5. in total there can be up to 100 new columns

My solution:

step1: I removed all the line breaks from MAIN_TEXT with a formula: REGEX_Replace([MAIN_TEXT], '\n', ' ')

step2: I used this Regex: (.{1,11}\s)

step3: I used a Data Cleansing tool to Remove Null Columns

step3: I used multifield formula to add the Tag (I mean "/" ) columns.

But I lose existing line breaks and also empty lines in the MAIN_TEXT. It also cannot handle if there is more than 11 characters in a one line

Could anyone help me with this?

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@IMSL Can you upload the input file?

IMSL
7 - Meteor

@binuacs Here is the sample Excel file.

Thank you in advance :)

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Here's a possible solution, using a formula from this thread to split items of more than 11 characters: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Interactive-Chart-Adding-text-wrap-in-...

I think it only splits it in two though, so it might not work for lines of 20+ characters.  You could get around that with an iterative macro to keep splitting it down.

Christina_H_0-1679920074509.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels