Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reading data from a specific line when using dynamic input tool with custom file path

akp36
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to read data using a formula-generated file path which is the input to my dynamic input tool. However, my data only starts at line 16. How can I read data from line 16 while completely changing the file path as it is not allowed in the dynamic input tool.

4 REPLIES 4
KGT
11 - Bolide

So, when you set up the template in the Dynamic Input, if you select Row 16 to start data import, are you saying that the template then doesn't apply that to the new files? I thought that would work.

If that is not working, then you could start it all at Row 1 and remove the fields not needed after the dynamic Input.

My resolution would be a batch macro here as it will bring in one file at a time and trim it according to whichever rules you set. I understand that this is a little hurdle though if you haven't used macros. 

The batch macro in question would be:

• Control Parameter (this will end up getting the file list)
  • Input Tool (configured by the control Parameter)
  • Sample to remove rows and Dynamic Rename to take first row as headers. (This is if the Input tool import row does not work).
  • Macro Output.
  • Settings - Interface Designer: Auto Configure by name

Once you have that set up, you will see that you have full control over what other steps you include in the batch macro, whether that be reporting, recordID or a full processing application... as much as you want.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

@KGTis being too nice here - but know the answer.

DON'T USE DYNAMIC INPUT FOR THIS.

Dynamic Input is incredibly limited and just because it works for like two things - doesn't mean that you should use it as a crutch to avoid learning about batch macros. This is something you do in with batch macros because with a batch macro (or nested batch macros) you feed in multiple sheets/multiple schemas and match different start lines to different sheetnames.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@akp36 
I am thinking we can just read the data then take the rows after 16th?

We can can check the option "First Row contains data" option in the Dynamic Input tool.

0703-akp36.png0703-akp36-A.png

akp36
6 - Meteoroid

I managed to find the solution by specifying the sheet range instead of importing from a specific line

Labels