Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REALLY basic question to replicate "COUNTIF" in Excel

TaniaC
7 - Meteor

OK I know I am missing something very simple here, but just can’t work out how to do it!

Attached is the type of table I am working with. I have training courses as columns, and each individual learner has a status for each course (“Complete”, “In Progress”, “Not Started” and “Not Required”). For each column, I want to total the status (don’t need a link to each learner, just the total “Complete”, “In Progress” etc. for each course).

In Excel I would use a “COUNTIF” function for each status for each column, but I can’t work out how to make Alteryx do this automatically in a workflow. Tried all sorts of summation and calculation tools but just can’t my mind around how Alteryx wants me to do this. (Also, ultimately I will be outputting to Tableau to create the chart like attached, so also open to any kind of suggestions that just get Tableau to do it instead  😉 )

Looking to the wonderful Brains Trust here to help me work out what (entirely basic) function I am missing! Many many thanks in advance 😊

TC

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TaniaC 
I think the missing puzzle piece is the Transpose Tool.

0425-TaniaC.PNG0425-TaniaC-1.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @TaniaC 

Here's a way you can go about it

danilang_0-1619349253122.png

Transpose your data so that it becomes a pair of course name and completion status columns.  Summarize to get the subtotal for completion type and totals for each course and the join on course name.  Add a formula to calculate the percent.

Dan

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@danilang 
I guess I will not miss too much this time 😁

TaniaC
7 - Meteor

Thank you @Qiu and @danilang - I wish I could claim that I would have eventually worked that out myself, but there's no way, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me - does exactly what I needed 😁

Cheers both!

TC

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TaniaC 
Glad to help and also would appreciate if you could also may reply as accept? 😁

TaniaC
7 - Meteor

Oops - thought I already had! Done now 😁

Labels