Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Question on database connection userid and password management

Dennis_L
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I have an excel worksheet that keep the data schema name, userid and password for various databases that I have access to. Company policy required us to update the password every 3 months. This will be used by all Alteryx workflows that I am running. Is there anyway that I can input this worksheet in the first step of my flow and pass the userid and password to each input that connect thru ODBC connection? Is there a better way in Alteryx that can help me to handle this situation. Following is my excel worksheet format

DB_TYPE      Schema_name      User_ID     PASSWORD

Teradata         schema_a              user1        pw1

Oracle             schema_b              user2        pw2

Thanks...

6 REPLIES 6
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Dennis_L, I have seen folks use different approaches to address this scenario. The org. I work with uses Gallery Data Connections which are created and controlled by the Gallery Admins and pushed to individual Designer License holders. All that the License holders need to do is connect to the database Alias that will be made available to them (in their designer), and admins control password changes etc. I have included two links below that throw more light on this subject.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server/How-To-Create-a-Database-Connection-Share-Through-Ga...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server/Gallery-Data-Connections-FAQ/ta-p/452293

I hope this helps. 

randreag
11 - Bolide

hello @Dennis_L 

In the past I had a similar case and what we did was, using INDBC tools create the conections files to each of your data bases and put that path in a worksheet.

Depends on the conection you need you select the record in the worksheet and it will search for the file.

In this order, when you change the password and username, your file will be updated, but it will be transparent for your workflows.

I hope you get the idea an dit helps you.

Dennis_L
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks.. I like the idea but we don't have a Alteryx server installed in our site. We will use the same idea when we have the server setup. Thanks a lot

Dennis_L
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @aruiz-itp 

That is the solution that I am looking for. Can you share a bit more on how to setup in INDBC and how my workflow can call from the connection files..

Thanks..

randreag
11 - Bolide

yes Of course.

1. create the connection and select Connection File, save it in your path 

aruiz-itp_2-1595431720610.png

2. Then you put the paths of the files in the worksheet and read it with an input tool

aruiz-itp_3-1595432295619.png

3. And the last step is using a Dynamic Input Indb

aruiz-itp_4-1595432441813.png

I attach a simple example in order you get the idea 

I hope it helps!

Dennis_L
6 - Meteoroid

thank you so much

Labels